Thursday, November 15, 2007

Virginia: Montgomery County

Montgomery Co., Virginia was formed 1776-7 from Fincastle, Botetourt and Pulaski Counties


1777 May 6 James McCorkle was appointed overseer of the road from the lower ford of Reed Creek to McCaul’s fording in place of James Simpson. James Simpson was originally assigned this duty in Fincastle County (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 681)


1778 November 3 James Simpson served jury duty 1777 May 6 James McCorkle was appointed overseer of the road from the lower ford of Reed Creek to McCaul’s fording in place of James Simpson. (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 698)

1779 November 3 James Simpson earned payment for 8 days of patrolling out of county (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 732) James Simpson was appointed to “view the several ways proposed for the road between the Potters and Muncyes and report . . .” (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 732)


1780 March 7 John and Robert Simpson served on a jury (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 734) James and Robert Simpson on a jury (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 740)


1780 November 7 James, John and Robert Simpson served on a grand jury (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 742)


1781 February 7 James Simpson appointed overseer of the road from Andrew Crockett’s Smith Shop to Reed Creek. (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 748)


1781 November 7 James Simpson declined to lay off the dower of Mrs. Dougherty (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 755)


1782 July 2 James Simpson and others were appointed to appraise the estate of Michael Dougherty decd. (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 777)


1782 November 30 James Simpson survey of 270 acres on Cedar Run Branch of New River was entered (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 808)

1783 February 11 James Simpson’s entry of 145 acres on Reed Creek, branch of New River was surveyed. (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 897)


1785 February 22 James Simpson served on a jury (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 781)


1785 March 23 James Simpson served on a jury (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 784)


1786 May 23 James Simpson, James Crockett and Thompson Sayers were appointed to appraise the estate of Joseph Baker (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 812)


1786 August 22 James Simpson provided security for the administrator of the estate of James Moore; Joseph Moore was appointed administrator of the estate of John Simpson. James Simpson, David Sayers and others provided securities (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 813)


1787 November 6 James Simpson was exempted from paying public tax and county levy on account of old age (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 821)


1790 September 9 James Simpkins [sic] purchased 14 acres on Old Millstone Bottom on Little River from Jno. Pleckenstepher and wife Elizabeth (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 922)


1790? Hugh SIMPSON, James SIMPSON, Jr., and John SIMPSON appeared on a delinquent tax record. The tax list is undated, but might have been compiled when Wythe County was formed in 1790 with these “delinquents” paying taxes in the new county. Henry TROLLINGER and Francis CUNNINGHAM were also on this list. (Magazine of Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 43, No. 4, Nov. 2005)


1793 August 6 James Simpkins [sic] appointed overseer of the road from the Seven Mile Tree to Little River below Lorton’s Mill (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 839)


1796 February 2 James Simpkins sold 14 acres on Mill Stone Bottom to Messenger Lewis (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 927)


1796 September 27 Allen Simpson purchased 186 acres on Deer Park, head waters of Roanoke River from Ithamar Hubble (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 by Lewis Preston Summers, p. 930)

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget